Monday, September 15, 2008

SEPTEMBER ENSIGN

SMALL THINGS HAVE A WAY OF GROWING LARGE WHEN WE DWELL ON THEM

TOOTHPASTE ON THE MIRROR
By Bryce R. Peterson
I thought this was a really good and sad story. It is a story about an older lady and her husband. It is told by her daughter. She said that one of her mom's complaints was that her dad would splash toothpaste all over the mirror when he brushed his teeth. It drove her mom crazy! and she couldn't let it go.
After her father passed away her mother missed him more than she thought she would. one day when the daughter visited, her mothers eyes turned watery and she told her daughter of a mistake she regretted. She reminded her of the toothpaste and how adamant she had been that her dad was so slothful in neglecting to clean up his mess. She had been so angry over such a small thing.
Her mother went on to say that after her dad died there had been toothpaste on the mirror. She had cleaned it off, the next day there was more so she cleaned it off, and the next day more... this went on for a few days. Her mother realized that she had blamed her dad for the toothpaste for many years but it had been both of them splashing it in the mirror. She felt terrible that she had been so upset about that for years. She admitted that her anger had hurt her much worse than it had affected her dad.
I liked this story because it shows you that everyone has faults and before we get angry about something someone else is doing we need to take a look at ourself and see what we are doing.

2 comments:

Rich and Brianne said...

I didn't read that one yet! That's really sad. And a good lesson for me too, because I focus on the unimportant things a lot.

Steph said...

I guess I better apologize to Clint because I told him he needed to get a new soap dish by his sink so it would quit running all over, last night when I got home the soap and the dish were gone and it was all cleaned up. I wasn't really getting after him just more or less saying I should get a new dish for him. the poor thing.